Thursday, April 3, 2008

And So it Begins...



We've flipped the page of the calendar, and I did so a little reluctantly, because I knew what it would hold. The beginning of soccer season. We all love soccer season (except maybe Lars....). It's fun to have the whole family trek out to the games. I love these things that we all do together. (and Lars does, too, even though soccer itself is not his passion.) But it also means that there's two practices each week for Scott, and one each for Luke and Lily. This means dinner has to be figured out in the morning on those days, or else it's a mad dash--usually not as healthy, almost always more expensive--to get everyone fed.

We eat dinner together just about every night. But Spring (soccer) can throw a wrench in that, unless I am organized. Scott and I were talking the other night about how much goes on at the dinner table that we love and don't want to miss out on. The things that come out of the mouths of our babes just make us smile, and we love their quirks, and who they are. There are many, many glances between Scott and I, laughter supressed, just enjoying this family, amazed at who our kids are growing up to be. We find we like them! We really do!

I look at the calendar and how it's already filling up, and I ask myself some of those "intentional" questions. Do we want to be doing all these things? Are each of us in the family using our time the way we ought? And I actually think it's ok, so far. (It's only the 3rd, for pete's sake!) But I do need to be on top of the meal-planning, otherwise, we all miss out on the family dinners, and I think those hold us all together. They hold me together, anyway. So I've pulled the crock pot out this morning....

No comments: