Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tough Question

Today was the final session of the 6-week Bible study series I participated in at church. For the homework last week, the author (Angela Thomas) really emphasized the importance of this work making an impact on the way you live. She wrote about how it's all good to attend Bible studies, and learn the words and do the assignments. But if it doesn't show up in your life, if you still act the same towards others, it's not really doing anything for you.

The study is on Jesus' sermon on the mount, which He ends by saying, "Everyone who hears these words and puts them into practice (emphasis mine) is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." (Matthew 7:24 7 25 NIV) Angela Thomas writes, "We assume that attending and hearing is practicing, but it's not. None of this really matters if your life is not being transformed by the truths you've learned."

So, here's the real kicker from the homework. She told us to ask a family member what he or she sees God doing in our lives. Do they see God transforming us? Softening our hearts? Oooh. Made me take a deep breath. The rubber hitting the road.

What would the people around you have to say about what they see God doing in your life?

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I know I have more evidence than just Julies blog entries to base my conclusion here, but I would say the transformation I see in Julie is summed up in one word: MINDFUL!
Oh...you wanted to know what the people around me are seeing? Let me go ask....