Monday, January 28, 2008

Lessons From the Kitties


Our cats are goofy. All cats are, actually, but these two, Thora and Greta (they're Swedish, you know) cannot stand to see the bottom of thier food dish. In the 4 years we've had them, I don't think they've ever eaten all of their food. As soon as the bottom begins to make an appearance, they are underfoot and nervous. They look at the dish, and look up at me, then look at the dish again. "Houston, we have a problem! What if we never get fed again! We are perilously close to starvation!"

Today, they might have legitimate reason for concern. What's in the dish there is all that's left in the house. Cat food is on the list, I'll take care of the poor creatures.

How often do I do that with God? Get my undies all in a bunch waayyy earlier than I need to? I circle around his feet, looking at Him imploringly, asking Him to show me what He wants me to do next, when I haven't even finished what He's already given me.

I think it's good to have a big-picture perspective, and to be forward-thinking. But it's also good to remember the promises for today. He has begun a good work in me, and He wants to see it through to completion. (Philippians 1:6) He has the BIG PLAN, and I can trust in it. Sometimes I get all worried because I can see the bottom of the dish. Well of course I can! It's a dish, and there is a bottom, but I'm not starving, and he will take care of me, poor creature that I am without Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful analogy. My cats do the same thing and they drive me crazy. I ALWAYS feed them, why do they fret so? Why don't they trust me to feed them at the appropriate time?

Why don't I trust God to feed me the amount I need at the time I need it? He always has. And He has promised that He always will.