Monday, May 12, 2008

Mr. Golden Sun, Please Shine Down on Me



We have this pile of anenomes (?) growing right outside our front door. They're cute little white flowers with a yellow center, just what I would draw if you asked me to make a flower... They are just about to pop. A couple of them have opened up, but they're bent down. I'm waiting for the morning when they're all open and proud, and I keep looking out to see if it's happened yet. We had a rainy, cloudy, kind of cruddy weekend in the weather department. This morning, though it's still a little chilly, the sun is shining brightly. So I told these little flowers to look up! Let the sun shine on your face! I want to see them all pretty and white, but they're holding out. Not quite ready.


Except for this one....
Isn't it pretty? Tell your neighbors, little flower, how good it feels to bask in the warmth of the sun. I'm not a gardener, I know close to nothing about plants and their ways. But I just love this season of green things coming back up, and the pop of color from the flowers. As I watch with anticipation this spring, I can imagine God watching us from heaven, waiting for us to just look up! And tell everyone around us all about it. Can you picture it?

Look up into the heavens.
Who created all the stars?
He brings them out like an army, one after another,
calling each by its name.
Because of his great power and incomparable strength,
not a single one is missing.
O Jacob, how can you say the Lord does not see your troubles?
O Israel, how can you say God ignores your rights?
Have you never heard?
Have you never understood?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary.
No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:26-31

No comments: