Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Soap Box

My friend Jen spent some time trying to post a comment here on yesterday's post, and was never able to do it. I don't know why that happens sometimes. Kris can't ever seem to post a comment, either, unless she posts it anonymously and then signs her name....If you have tried to comment and can't, try doing it the way Kris does, because I would love to hear what you've got to say!

Here's what Jen wanted to post (she emailed it to me):
This whole expectation of happiness has really created problems for our society - hasn't it? I read/heard somewhere that expecting consistent happiness is a relatively new concept. People never used to have time to think about whether they were happy or not - they were too busy trying to survive. Want the real secret to happiness in this life? Be happy with what you have. Wow. That's deep. That, and have common sense enough to ignore the Harvard-trained-brain-trusts that are stupid enough to actually spend money and time trying to come up with a formula to measure "happiness". Give me a break.

Have a good day!
Jen


What about happiness? Is it a new, western concept--kind of the idea of privacy? Just who do we think we are? I think we need to get over ourselves! This life is "but a breath." It is a reflection of what is to come. Let's not let it slip away focusing on what makes us happy, or how to keep our secrets secret....This leads to more of the surrendering our selves discussion. Living here and now where we do, it's a hard thing to do! We have to do it over and over again. Jesus said we'd have to do it every day, but I find I need to do it about every 20 minutes or so.

You don't know how long (or short) your "breath" is going to be. Jen has it right, be grateful for what you have. Live each day like it's a day that matters. What are the gifts and dreams that God has put in my heart? What am I doing with them?

OK, I'll stop ranting.

No comments: