Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things....

">During my senior-senior year in college (it took me longer than most...)I lived in a house that I shared with 4 other girls. Someone (Anne?) had a copy of a book called "Living a Beautiful Life" or something like that, and we would jokingly read passages out loud from it. The author was clearly in a different season of life than we were, and she shared ideas in her book to help women find beauty and joy in the everyday.

I think of that book now and then, still making fun of it sometimes. But I thought I'd make a list of things that are my favorites, many that are everyday-ish things, but that serve as reminders to be grateful, to take a minute to recognize the beauty in my life, and just make me sigh. here goes:

Coffee! I drink it black, make a pot of half regular/half decaf and drink the whole thing over the course of the day.

My coffee pot, which is a carafe that keeps the coffee hot without turning it into tar, so I can drink it all day long.

My spot on the couch in front of the big picture window. I love to read in the natural light, preferably with a cat on my lap to keep me warm.

Cooking/Baking. It feels like home when I'm making something in the kitchen.

Fresh flowers.

Sitting at the beach with a book or magazine in the summer while the kids are busy and happy in the sand and water. The sun, the heat on my skin, and laughter....

New snow that makes everything quiet and stop for a couple of hours.

Music in the kitchen. This helps get the dishes done.

The smell of my kids' skin when they first wake up in the morning.

A hot bath with a glass of wine.

An empty Saturday on the calendar.

A full Saturday on the calendar!

Acts 17:27, which says, "His purpose in all of this was that the nations should seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward Him and find Him--though He is not far from any one of us."

What about you? What makes you take that big, thankful breath of air?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the coffee. And the best cup of the day is always the best!

The feel of my grandkids' arms around me when the give me a hello hug.

Snuggling with my grandkids.

The family and other pictures that pop up randomly on my screen saver. It picks from my entire "My Photos" folder which contains thousands of photos, covering a lifetime, and you never know what you'll see next.

Looking at scrapbooks, my own as well as anyone else's.

A clean, company-ready house. Why is it that the only time we really get the whole place looking good at the same time is when someone is coming?

Relaxed, extended conversations with my adult children.

Hearing from former students who are doing really well, or their parents. It's great to know that my 25 years at New Trier were not spent in vain.

Helping my husband with one of his many projects, and knowing that I was really helpful and a blessing to him.

Sitting on our front porch in the spring, summer and fall, watching the world go by, interacting with neighbors, or just watching them hard at work in their yards when we have already finished our work (for the day, that is; it's never finished!)

And let's not forget chocolate! I believe God made it just to show us how much He really loves us. He even put anti-oxidants in it so we don't need to feel guilty about eating it!

--julie said...

Hmm, I wonder who "anonymous" is, Mom.

Unknown said...

I didn't intend to be "anonymous." I just don't know how to work this thing. I guess I should just sign it "Mom" so that it can call me anything it wants!

-- Mom