Thursday, February 7, 2008

Love, Love, Love

I got stuck watching a very mediocre Hallmark movie the other night. I don't want to give anything away and spoil it for anyone, but the reason I had to watch almost the whole thing is because they never tell you what horrible thing happened in the past until the end. That is, unless it was in the first 15 minutes, which is possible. I didn't turn it on until 15 minutes in, and kept waiting for the mystery to unfold....

Anyway, I think the point of the movie was that we need to allow ourselves to be healthy and to be loved. This girl was carrying around guilt for the horrible past thing, and as a result didn't think she deserved good relationships with others. She found out she was ill and didn't think she deserved to get well.

Yes, this was a silly Hallmark movie, and we have a possibly silly Hallmark Holiday coming up (varying opinions on this...) but it does get me to thinking about love. And how we withhold it, push it away, push it on others, search for it, embrace it. Love, like so many things in life, is not still. It is in motion, moving us toward or away from others. We do things like keep secrets and tell fibs....are these moving us toward or away from our people?

Whatcha' doin' with your love today?

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Love has been on my mind too. Yesterday was playing a cd I received as gift this Christmas, Jars of Clay: Christmas Songs. There is a song on it called LOVE CAME DOWN AT CHRISTMAS. There is a line that got me to thinking. This line "love will be our token".It goes on..."love be yours, and love be mine. Love from God to all of us. Love for plea and gift a sign." What do you think it means that "love will be our token"?
I think about the shiny coins you receive at Chuck E Cheese. I get a coin and get to choose how to use it. Is that what the song is talking about? When my neighbor came and rescued me from shoveling the entire driveway on my own yesterday...I felt like he gave me his shiny coin. Is that the love Jesus is talking about? I know this is not what you are talking about today...but maybe fodder for another day.