Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Breathe Deeply


Here's what I love about this adventure of following Christ: when everything I read and hear all ties together. When God's message is just all over the place. This shouldn't come as a surprise; His message is relevant today, has to do with life as we're living it, big and little things. But it does still fill me with awe when the message at church, my Bible study homework, my daily reading, a conversation with one friend here, and another friend there, a blurb I hear on the radio, some writing that I'm working on, the talk a guest speaker at Scott's school gave last week.....they ALL point me back to how God wants me to know Him and draw nearer to Him, and He wants me to help others draw nearer to Him.

Here's what the Bible says about God's Word, and His message for us:
"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do." 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17 (NLT)
and
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)

Yup. It says scripture is inspired (which means to breathe, or blow into). He breathes into the words. We can breathe them in. It says that His word is living. That's why you can read a verse you've read before and find something new. That's why it all ties together so beautifully. What's not to love about that? I'm sure there's a $5 theological explanation or term for the active-ness and alive-ness of God's message, but I just love that He speaks to us in a manner that is real. Now. Here. And consistent.

No comments: